White Lightning Weyr
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10th PASS AU PERN RPG

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Plans of Attack

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sevillalost

Marks : 974

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptySat May 16, 2015 7:33 pm

Br'son was nervous. He forced himself to sit down and wait quietly, but what he really wanted to do was pace around his newly designated living quarters until his guests arrived. He had done as much prep as he could before Yllaveth had sent out her call, and now he was just waiting for the two cobaltriders, Ashrah, Avidian and Dividia to arrive. The weyrsenior heard Yllaveth rustling in the Hatching Caverns down the short passageway to his left, and he forced himself to take deep, calming breaths and wait.

He'd asked for the people he considered his "leadership team" to join him to discuss strategy for the future. The truth was that the eggs were growing harder every day, and they had no formal candidates. Everyone assumed that several of the smugglers' youths would Stand, as would the few weyrbred youngsters who followed the dragonriders from Eastern. But that wasn't enough, and Br'son would be Threaded before he allowed Yllaveth's hatchlings to die for want of a rider.

The meeting had another purpose as well. Br'son had asked Casriel to be a wingleader, but that was about as far as it had gone. They needed some formal structure as they started to carve their home out of this wild canyon. They may have only had a bare handful of dragonpairs, but the hatchlings would grow up eventually. And while Eastern was currently flying Thread over their area, no one knew how long that would last. The fact was, Weyrs needed a wing structure, and Br'son intended to see it happen.

Then there was the matter of the smugglers. If they were going to coexist, they needed to integrate fully. That meant making the smugglers into weyrfolk, and making the dragonriders into smugglers. A few minor missions had gone already, Br'son wanted to know how they'd turned out. And... and he needed to be sure that Avidian understood his role in the place.

Though if the big man didn't, Br'son wasn't exactly sure how to clear it up.
Back to top Go down
weyrwolf

Marks : 885

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptySat May 16, 2015 7:44 pm

Sidran's face was neutral when she stepped in, though she'd made it a point to get there first. "Weyrsenior," she said, smiling slightly before her expression returned to its neutral base.

Her hair was loosely braided, and she shoved it off her shoulder as she looked around. "We'll need to get you more chairs, this keeps up."
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

Marks : 713

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptySat May 16, 2015 7:55 pm

Casriel had her Wingsecond knots pinned to her and walked crisply to Br'sons weyr. Or, at least, what was serving as his weyr for the time being. She had found opportunity to bath in the pools, wash her hair and air dry it. She was in a good moon and her golden hair was pulled back in it's customary long tail. When she spotted Ashrah ahead of her in the passage, Casriel matched strides with the other woman.

"Ashrah, you look well." Casriel said. Ashrah turned to look over her shoulder at Casriel and nodded.

"Doing fairly. I suspect our Weyrsenior will have something to tell us and it is good to feel like we are making some kind of progress." the scarlet rider said.

"Indeed," Casriel replied. She was getting restless and longed for this new place to have some kind of normalcy about it. Ashrah gave way to Casriel as they neared the chamber and the cobalt rider slide in, all grace and power. Ashrah came after her, all serious expression. She did not know how much of a counter point she was to Casriel, who favored Br'son with a suggestive smile the scarlet rider could not see.

"Weyrsenior." Casriel purred, eying him with interest.

"Weyrsenior." Ashrah said, nodding her respect.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptySat May 16, 2015 8:36 pm

"Thank you all for coming," Br'son said. His mind went to his training at the hands of Eastern Weyr's queenriders. "Um. Please have a seat. Can I get you anything? Avidian and Dividia should be joining us shortly."

He gestured to the table and chairs ringed around it. "I, ah, thought we should hammer out a few details. And stuff."
Back to top Go down
weyrwolf

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptySat May 16, 2015 8:48 pm

Sidran's eyes glanced over the other women, and as she opened her mouth to greet them, her eyes shifted again when Dividia came in.

The wherhandler smiled and inclined her head to them all. "Beautiful day," she said, the smile gone as quickly as it appeared but her posture easy and her gaze comfortable. She'd timed her entrance to come in after the two cobalt riders especially, finding their dynamic especially interesting.

The titanrider she had hopes for, though the words she'd come in on hadn't been the most inspiring. Perhaps that was for the better.
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptySun May 17, 2015 7:43 am

Ashrah remembered Divida from the other day. Indeed, who could have forgotten the woman with a hulking watch wher at her side. She didn't understand why anyone would want to pair with such a creature. Even as fanciful as firelizards were, nothing could compare to the sheer magnificence of a dragon.

Oh Ashrah, you flatter me. came the warm chuckle from Hesriath.

Ashrah stifled her own snort of amusement. You are more beautiful than the finest ruby on Pern. I suppose wher-bonding is preferable to carrying around a feline or trying to domesticate a wherry for companionship.

'Likely it had been less of a choice and more of a lack of options.' Ashrah decided and having done so, lapsed into a contented silence about the manner. She gently waved off water, her stomach too much a tight knot of stress to want to put anything on it.

Casriel nodded to the woman but she was more interested in what Br'son had to say. She silently declined his offer of refreshment with a lightly smile and the shake of her head. The two riders took their seats, Casriel chose the chair directly across from Sidran. She wanted the other Cobalt rider were she could see her but more, she felt that Br'son should be flanked by two of his most powerful officers.

Casriel wished D'kan was at her side now; as much as she wanted him for her Wingsecond, Br'son might decide to also make the cobalt rider a Wingleader. That would do much for her chosen brother's honor and Casriel wouldn't stand in the way of it. Still they were not many; maybe only enough to fill two wings, if that.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptyWed May 20, 2015 12:25 am

Avidian arrived, nodded to everyone and took a seat beside his daughter. He didn't bother to say anything.

Br'son looked nervously from the smuggler to the other assembled parties. He reached for, and received, a blast of bolstering strength from Yllaveth, and the sheer enormity of the Titan's wordless confidence in him was enough to calm his nerves and bring out a genuine smile.

"Thank you all for coming," Br'son said. "I started thinking and decided that, if we're going to do this. Well. We need to do it right. We may be small, but we need to build a proper Weyr, and that means making a few decisions. Perhaps the greatest," he said then, turning slightly to face Avidian and Dividia head on. "Will be yours. We've already decided to be allies, and I've been so grateful to you and all of your people for everything that you've done to support us here. But I don't want it to be 'your people' and 'our people' any longer. I want you all to be weyrfolk for real. One family. One community. I want to extend the rights of weyrborn children to your youngsters, and I want to offer you those same protections. In return... well... I want you to continue supporting us as you have... and then some, should we ever need it."

Avidian pursed his lips and nodded slightly, as if this wasn't a surprise. Br'son waited a moment, and when the other man said nothing, went on.

"I know that's a lot to think about, so please take your time. There are other decisions... and I'd like you both to witness them." He took a deep breath. "Casriel, I've already spoken with you about this, but at this time I'd like to formally declare you and Maraxith, and Sidran and Gaveth Wingleaders of White Lightning Weyr. You're our two most experienced cobalt riders, and at present, we've barely enough dragons to make a single wing, let alone two. But two allows for a better division of labor... so there it is. In addition," he said, cutting his eyes to Sidran. His hand twitched toward her for a moment, as if he'd like to take hold of her hand in a show of solidarity, but he dared not. "Sidran, you and Gaveth have earned the position of Weyrleader, such as it is. I'd be honored if you'd formally take up the role and title."
Back to top Go down
weyrwolf

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptyWed May 20, 2015 6:28 pm

"I am your partner in this," Sidran replied, her lips curving in a smile before the neutral expression returned. "And glad to have such a qualified wingleader." One eyebrow quirked ever so slightly as she looked at Cariel; she hadn't missed the purr and overt interest of the other woman.

She looked back to Br'son with genuine warmth, if not any kind of promising heat. It wasn't that kind of meeting. "Between this group of us, we will get quite a bit done. Speaking of, I believe there are some eggs we should plan for?"

She doesn't want to take over the meeting, but we will do all to be sure your eggs have proper candidates. Gaveth didn't need his rider to ask him to pass on any messages to Yllaveth; her thoughts were clear, and he needed little excuse to reach out to his mate these days. It was not usually his wont to be so protective or communicative, but so it was here. She is also thinking that next time they should talk ahead of the meeting so that they will be better partners.
A mental shrug. They should find time for more than that. Even in a new place riders could find time for some small, enjoyable distractions. At least when they had Gaveth looking out for them.
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptyThu May 21, 2015 7:29 pm

Casriel's expression was neutral; her mouth never quirked and her eyebrows were still. Her eyes were calm and determined, the wheels turning in her mind. She only nodded acceptance to the comment and enjoyed the quiet pride glowing in her chest over the promotion. Br'son had seen her prowess and skill; that was so very much to her.

It was Ashrah who softly cleared her throat and brought her eyes to Br'son and then to Sidran.

"If I may, Weyrsenior and Weyrleader. I humbly ask that Hesriath and I be considered for the rank of Weyrling Master. We have been training for it all our bonded lives." Ashrah said, wishing she had even a gram of Casriel's cool confidence.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptyFri May 22, 2015 11:33 am

Br'son's face broke into a wide grin as he looked at his former teacher. "I confess, Ashrah, that was exactly why I called you here. Yllaveth trusts you and Hesriath almost as much as she trusts me, and I think you're a perfect choice for Weyrlingmaster." He faltered, then, and looked over at his newly official Weyrleader. "Ah... If that's okay with you, Sidran? I mean. I know that normally the naming of Wingleaders and Weyrlingmasters is a Weyrleader's job... but we had no structure at all, and I..."

He trailed off, uncomfortable and unsure what to do. Was he to take the lead in this situation? Even though he was so very far outside the clearly defined lane of a traditional queenrider?

Back to top Go down
weyrwolf

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptyFri May 22, 2015 12:28 pm

Sidran's smile for Ashrah was genuinely warm. "I confess, when I brought up the eggs I was prioritizing finding candidates for them, but my next order of business was appointing someone qualified to be in place for both candidates and, of course, weyrlings. There is no one I would trust more in this role, Ashrah."

She paused a moment to consider the other woman's expression. "Any suggestions on what we should do for candidates? There are very promising young people already here, of course," that with a nod to Avidian and Dividia, "but I'm not sure the welcome we'll get for a formal Search, and the eggs will need more options."

Dividia moved slightly; she had an idea, but it seemed best to give all the riders a moment to respond to their new titles before she dove in.
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptyMon May 25, 2015 7:03 am

Ashrah's mouth broke into a one bright smile for a moment before she composed herself, nodding appreciatively.

"Thank you, Weyrsenior. Thank you, Weyrleader." the Scarlet rider said and somewhere outside on the heights, Hesriath rumbled deep in her throat, a sure sign of the Scarlet dragon's pleasure at the request granted. Casriel watched the interaction with cool eyes; she had no reason to think that Ashrah was a poor choice. Hesriath was of the same clutch as Maraxith and Gaveth, Casriel had known of Ashrah since they had been candidates. In those span of Turns, the now Wingleader had seen how eagerly Ashrah and Hesriath wanted to be teachers.

Casriel also knew that the now Weyrling Master was Br'sons loyal solider above everyone else. She would do her duty to whomever was Weyrleader at the time but she would defer to Br'son in the end. That was not a bad thing but it didn't service Casriel at present and likely wouldn't until Maraxith won Yllaveth and Casriel became Weyrleader.

"I know for a fact some young people who want to stand for Yllaveth's clutch." Casriel said and favored Br'son with a serious expression, daring in her eyes.

"But it will be tricky to get them out of Eastern Weyr."
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptyMon May 25, 2015 9:54 pm

Br'son's eyebrows went up at Casriel's casual reference to Eastern Weyr. "Oh?" he asked, leaning forward slightly. Appointing Wingleaders and Weyrlingmasters was, perhaps, not truly his domain, but providing candidates for Yllaveth's clutch certainly was, and he wasn't above considering all angles. "How many youngsters from Eastern? If it's just family members of the riders here, that could perhaps be doable... though we'll need more than those, of course. As to getting them out..." The young Weyrsenior pressed his lips together in a thin line and then turned resolutely to Avidian and Dividia.

"Stillmaster," Br'son said, using for the first time the title he'd invented for the smugglers' leader. "Your young people will, of course, be welcome to stand as well. But it is imperative that we provide a wide range of choices for Yllaveth's hatchlings. If a dragonet doesn't find its rider, it will suicide on the spot. We cannot afford such a tragedy. If there is a way to get interested young people out of Eastern Weyr, I fear it must be done clandestinely. That, it seems, is your department."

Avidian snorted softly. "Stillmaster, is it?" he said. "Very well. So. You want me to do your dirty work?"

Br'son straightened. "Yes," he said softly. "That's exactly what I want you to do. You're the expert criminal in the room. My people will be yours to command in this... and in other enterprises, should you have need. I meant it when I said we were one family, sir."

Vid smiled, and a chill went down Br'son's spine. Still, the Weyrsenior met the man's eyes without flinching. "Very well," Avidian said. "Though you shouldn't call me sir. Might go to my head. I figure you're the Weyrsenior. In Weyr matters, I'll look to you. In 'criminal matters'," he said, with a bit of humor emphasizing his words. "You will all look to me."

"Agreed," Br'son said quickly, before anyone else could argue. Sidran and Casriel might take him to task for it later, he supposed, but he didn't care. Getting enough candidates for Yllaveth's eggs was his absolute top priority, and if that meant he made a deal with Pern's criminal element... well... so be it.

Vid's smile grew, and he reached out to take the Weyrsenior's hand to seal the bargain. "Well, then, daughter," he said, settling back in his chair. "I don't need an overgrown lizard to tell that you've got an idea. Suppose you spill it for these folks?" He nodded additional permission. They wanted criminal expertise? They'd have it.
Back to top Go down
weyrwolf

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptyMon May 25, 2015 10:02 pm

"Holds have plenty of unattached young people, and there are several close enough to make for easier runs. We can even take a rider or two to be sure we're getting the sort you want." They could also frequent some of the usual taverns and have a free hand with liquor. Worked well enough for sailors.

"And as one family - we could use more whers. We help you get candidates, you help distract a craft wher so we can get the eggs out." A touch of ruefulness in her tone; her obtaining of Divisk's egg had not left her unscathed.
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptyThu May 28, 2015 6:21 pm

"The only one I can be certain is Asteriel and she has friends. She's a lovely, popular girl. I'm sure some of her companions would be willing to come with her." Casriel said.

She wasn't sure if the comment of 'overgrown lizard' was directed at the brown wher or the dragons and being unsure annoyed her. In shadows or broad daylight, Maraxith was nothing less that a splendor to behold; a predator both lovely and deadly. Ashrah nibbled at one nail, her brow creased in worry.

"You speak of stealing eggs very casually. Like it was making off with something of no more consequence than a pie at Feasting. " Ashrah said softly but her words carried.

"Is that the kind of precedent we want to set as a new Weyr?" the Weyrling Master asked.

"It isn't stealing if you set it up as part of a tithe." Casriel remarked. "Bring the craft hall under the protection of the Weyr and if it does not have food to give, make wher eggs part of the tithe allotment. Now is the time to cast off Tradition that hampers."

Last edited by Vivid on Thu May 28, 2015 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
weyrwolf

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptyThu May 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Dividia's grin was quick, and sharp. "Your Weyr dumped you here. You think they'll give you their young people for Yllaveth's eggs? Whether the kids want to come or not, Eastern'll see it as stealing. They want you to curl up and die, from what I heard. Not Impress the new eggs, not thrive. And if you think they won't put pressure on holds and crafts not to treat with you, with us..." She shook her head. "Who's a Craft going to chose? Eastern, or a bunch of exiles? You want them to ignore Eastern and work with us, we need to prove we're strong. So we get you candidates. And you get us more whers."

Her tone wasn't urgent, or pushing - she was stating facts. And amazingly helpful as Divisk had been - he seemed especially cooperative of late - he was still one wher. They couldn't build an entire Weyr out of their canyon with just one.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptyFri May 29, 2015 9:36 pm

"But tithing implies a duty on our part. Are we in a position to start flying Thread over these settlements? Because if not, then I don't think we can legally demand a 'tithe'. It would almost be better to steal, if we can't purchase. And I suppose we can't," Br'son said. His frustration leaked through into his tone, and he shoved a hand through his hair, disordering it slightly.

"I know it's not ideal, Ashrah, but it might be what we're left with. Eastern cast us out. Made us into outlaws. Then outlaws we must become, right?"

Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptySat May 30, 2015 8:09 am

"Weyrsenior, with all respect and in the most pragmatic of speaking. If we maintain that we are in a position of strength and that is what they perceive, it is what they will think. Power lies where people believe it lies." Casriel reasoned, her cool eyes like beryls in her face. She threaded her fingers together, resting her hands on the table. Ashrah's brow creased in a frown and she tapped the index finger of her right hand against the rough grain of the table.

"Weyrsenior, we will do what we must because our circumstances dictate we must to survive. I heed you." the Scarlet rider said but it was plain it pricked at her personal honor.

"Still, a covert extraction like the one you suggested in preferable to an outright raid." Casriel nodded to Dividia.

Last edited by Vivid on Sat May 30, 2015 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptySat May 30, 2015 6:51 pm

Br'son nodded sharply. "All right. Wingleader Casriel, please work with Stillsecond Dividia and come up with a plan to get us both candidates and wher eggs. Unorthodox methods are fine. Just... get us candidates. Dividia is right. We're in this for survival."

He looked over at Sidran and met her eyes. "Weyrleader, forgive me for stealing your only wingleader, but we must have candidates sooner rather than later. Yllaveth is adamant about bringing them in to meet her eggs as soon as possible. She feels, and I agree, that it gives the dragonets the best chance of Impressing quickly, with a minimum of fuss."

"What else do you have?" he asked. The question was mostly directed at Sidran, but he included the others with a quick look around the assembled group.
Back to top Go down
weyrwolf

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptySun May 31, 2015 9:29 am

"You're not stealing anything," Sidran replied with a smile. "All I wanted to talk about today was candidates, being sure we're prepared for the clutch and that Yllaveth feels well taken care of. Casriel, you and I can talk about 'seconds once we have a plan for the candidates. I'm sure you want D'kan, and I'd welcome your input on who the other one should be. Avidian - Stillmaster, perhaps you, Ashrah, and I can touch base briefly on which of your people you'd put forward to Stand?"

And then from there she'd like to talk to Br'son without everyone else in the room. Though that could wait.

For her part, Dividia nodded to Casriel and stood - they might as well begin sooner than later, as there were a few bigger jobs going out before long.
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 10:34 am

Casriel had to admit one thing about her rival; Sidran was perceptive. Not stupid and not slow. She nodded her head, meeting Sidran's eyes. She knew that Casriel wanted D'kan and as for the other wingsecond, well she had her thoughts.

'If I was just looking at dragons, I would want Hesriath in that spot. That scarlet is one of the largest and Hesriath is an aggressive, capable fighter. Ashrah, however, will have her hands full with being Weyrling Master. Likely she will step up to be acting Candidate Master until one is secured. Perhaps Ashrah has a recommendation for the position. H'den is a good choice. A solidly built man, imposing and Nimath is a strong scarlet dragon. Damn, not for the first time did I wish E'ret rode anything other than a quartz!' Casriel thought to herself. There was nothing for it; Itzelbith was his dragon whether it benefited her or not. Maybe he would make for a good Candidate Master?

'No, better to go to Lolath and her rider. A Candidate Master's dragon should be Search sensitive.' Casriel mused.

"Excellent. Thank you, Weyrleader." Casriel said, crossing one leg over the other.

"If I could get Siona and Lolath to come with us. Lolath is a Search dragon and could point out someone we might otherwise overlook. We can't afford to skip over anyone. Everyone who is healthy and interested should be given the chance. I would even suggest we look outside the traditional age range. Better to have them and not need them, then need them and not have them." Ashrah said, leaning forward on the table.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plans of Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plans of Attack   Plans of Attack Empty

Back to top Go down

Plans of Attack
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
White Lightning Weyr :: Outcast Weyr :: Private Weyrs-
Jump to: