White Lightning Weyr
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10th PASS AU PERN RPG

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Now we know

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Vivid

Vivid

Marks : 713

Now we know - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 8:02 am

Casriel's head turned slowly to Jah'vi, her knots shifting in a spill of darkly colored braids as she moved. Her eyes narrowed a fraction of an inch as she regarded the bronze rider. Behind her lips, she ran her tongue across her teeth in a way one might if trying to remove a bad taste from her mouth.

Bide. Maraxith's voice was a glacier settling in the rising boil of Casriel's anger and as it had so many times before, cooled it. She turned back to Br'son without a word said to the bronzerider. A thought crossed her mind and she addressed Sidran this time.

"Speaking of our Weyrling Master, do you think she will be an active obstacle to our endeavors? Do you have any reason to think she would publicly defy either of you if we went ahead with this plan?"
Back to top Go down
Apollotrigger

Marks : 448

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 11:08 am

Jah'vi gritted his teeth so hard he thought they might shatter. The indifference and eye rolling and veiled insults were one thing. But outright ignoring him? He'd had enough.

"Thanks for your concern, Jah'vi," he gritted out, glaring daggers at Casriel. "Thanks for calling Maraxith one of Yvalleth's chosen mates." He slammed his hand against the wall of the office, pushing away from it and moving forward.

"As far as I'm aware, Wingleader," he said, not bothering to keep the sneer out of his voice, "we can do whatever the sharding flame we want. The Weyrsenior and Weyrleader, and their chosen Seconds have that prerogative." He'd stepped closer to her, and now he could return her glare. If she wanted to ignore him, then he'd remind her who Sidran had chosen as her Second.

Nolinth grumbled deeply, his own anger rising along with his riders, a low noise that reverberated down his riders spine. He knew he shouldn't be baiting Casriel like this, but he was angry enough to deal with the backlash at the moment. He'd had enough of Casriel treating him like the enemy.
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 4:34 pm

She could feel Maraxith in the back on her mind, ever cooling and ever steady. Like a great ice field, relentless, deadly but ever the outward calm.

Yet, she was the fire to his ice.

Casriel's lips peeled back from her teeth in a silent snarl as she rose, liquid flexible from her chair. She could feel her blood run hot as molten lava as she moved and her leg passed back to deftly push her chair aside. It tottered and fell but the sound never reached the cobalt rider. She stood in a fighter's stance, bent slightly at the knees and her hand hovered above her belt knife.

"Concern? Concern!" Casriel's voice exploded from her, scalding hot.

"Where was Eastern's concern when we were Exiled?! You think I believe you care. You think I have need of it? I piss on Old Guard pity. Do you think you were chosen on merit!? Slide the oldest bronze rider left to second position supporting to secure allegiance of the Old Guard. You weren't a choice, just a lack of options!"

Last edited by Vivid on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

Marks : 974

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 5:17 pm

Br'son had had enough.  He, too, surged to his feet.  

"You," he said, pointing a finger at Jah'vi, his voice icy with rage. "Sit. Down."  

Then he turned to Casriel.

"You," he repeated.  "Sit. Down."  

He looked over at Sidran briefly.  Then back to the two of them.

"My office is not the place for your stupid dominance games.  I invited you both because I needed adult counsel, not the stupid games of a pair of prideful weyrlings.  Casriel, your attitude and words toward Weyrsecond Jah'vi are out of line and beneath you.  Jah'vi, losing your temper in my office is not the way to handle it.  You both work for Weyrleader Sidran.  Weyrleader Sidran will decide what consequences will apply due to your actions thus far.  As for me, if you cannot keep your sharding tempers and act like grown dragonriders, you will leave my office immediately.  Is that clear?"  

Your problem.  But Maraxith's rider cannot be allowed to express those thoughts about the bronzes, browns, blues, and greens.  We must be one Weyr, or we will not survive.  Please make sure that Maraxith and his rider both understand that,  Yllaveth said to Gaveth, her tail lashing in annoyance at the whole kerfuffle.  None of that had been helpful.
Back to top Go down
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 5:36 pm

Jah'vi had been ready to explode right back; he'd made plenty of enemies fighting against the people who made that decision and those who supported it, his father included. He'd had to stand there and watch the entire Weyr die, then make the hard decision to leave those that couldn't, or wouldn't, come to the Canyon behind.

But Br'son spoke before he could, and his mouth snapped shut on whatever curses he'd been about to unleash. His eyes flashed angry blue at Br'son for a moment before he forced himself to sit, stiffly and obviously still furious.

"Crystal clear, Weyrsenior," he said, pointedly not looking at Casriel. Br'son was right; his office was not the place for this show down. At some point this would have to be settled.

But sharding flames, he was sick of being lumped in with those unbending asses who had exiled pretty much every friend he had.
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 6:00 pm

Casriel inhaled low and long through her nostrils but slowly, very slowly, she passed back to her chair. Righting it from where it had fallen, she sat back down until her spine touched the precious wood.

"It is clear, Weyrsenior." she said, exhale slowly as she did so.

'When I am Weyrleader.' she thought to herself as she settled her hands on her knees and squeezed slowly. 'I will ruin you and you will beg me for mercy before the end of it. Treasure your position while it lasts. I will raise up my people and White Lightning will be ruled by those who have earned her!'

The hot words splattered harmlessly within her mind and a series of delight images revolving around the harm she could do to the bronze rider seemed to sooth inner beast.

Back to top Go down
weyrwolf

Marks : 885

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 6:58 pm

Sidran lifted her eyebrows - she could have interrupted, certainly, but only had it intensified. They weren't in public, and if Casriel wanted to prove how very unfit she was for Weyrleadership, well...Sidran had hoped for better, from the other cobaltrider. Once. Early into their time at the canyon. Now she settled for the icy professionalism the blonde could muster when she chose, and the distanced respect for what Maraxith's rider could provide. Again, when she chose.

It had been almost - almost - peaceful, though. Surprisingly so, leading up to Yllaveth's flight. But clearly, as ever, more swam beneath the surface.

Of both cobalt and bronze rider, at that.

"After the meeting," she said, and then, as though none of the nonsense had happened, said thoughtfully, "Ashrah is properly concerned with her charges, and is also an intelligent woman. If Teagan agrees, I don't think she'll fight it. Z'ash, on the other hand, is son, not student. I don't imagine she'll thank me for asking." A small shrug. "But it's not her I'll ask. If we're agreed," she added, looking fully at Br'son, now, "You talk to Teagan, and if she's willing, I'll talk to my rider, or riders - any we nominate."

Gaveth's talons scraped against the stone he lay on, but his maintained only their usual tension, spots of red, slow whirling. His response to Yllaveth was wordless, deep agreement - it would be handled.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 7:13 pm

"Just Teagan and Z'ash for now," Br'son said. "Yllaveth pointed out to me that they can scout ahead, determine an ideal situation, and then come back to lead the youngsters forward to whatever they have found. I like your idea about sending them North, sir," he said, nodding to Ferrix. "I'll suggest that to them. We'll send them forward, and then have them come back to make a report. That way, if we lose them, we only lose two."

The words were bitter in his mouth, all the more so because he knew them to be true. He hated the thought of possibly sacrificing his young Teagan... but what options did they truly have?

"Weyrleader, I suggest you and I meet with Teagan and Z'ash in a few days to discuss the parameters of this venture. Will that be enough time for you to talk with everyone necessary?"
Back to top Go down
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 7:45 pm

"Talk to them first," E'zen blurted, and then swallowed when Sidran's cool glance turned on him. He hadn't meant to contradict the Weyrsenior in public, but...hopefully this was an acceptable place (he didn't even pause to consider how different that thought was, that it even occurred to him to be concerned). "You can check with as many people as you want, but if Teagan says no, and we're not going to force her, then having other people know before she has a chance to decide is unfair."

Sidran considered, and thought it could go either way. So, eyebrows raised again, she looked back at Br'son.

Catching, just out of the corner of her eye, Ferrix's quick, almost unconscious nod - though whether for her or the queenriders, she didn't know.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 7:51 pm

Br'son looked at his 'Second, then nodded.

"Good point," he said. "I agree. Weyrleader? What do you think? Should we call them here? Or do it another time?"
Back to top Go down
weyrwolf

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 8:17 pm

Sidran turned a flat glance toward Casriel and Jah'vi. "Talk to Teagan, and we'll leave you to it. I'll come back if we're to move forward, and we'll call Z'ash in from there. In the meantime, E'zen has to get back to drills, and I need to meet with my Wingleaders. Ferrix - we'll let you know as soon as we have news."

She'd thank him, but had learned it made him even gruffer, and he nodded and left without another word (as though escaping before anyone could do such a thing).
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Br'son steepled his fingers in front of his face and nodded solemnly, his mind already thinking through what he would say to his youngest Junior.

Eniseth, please ask your rider to come to the Weyrsenior's office. And for this conversation, please do not redirect her attention as you sometimes do. This is important, Yllaveth said as the others filed out of the office to go have their own conversations.

Back to top Go down
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 8:50 pm

Jah'vi stood and inclined his head to the queenriders and Ferrix, then ground his teeth and followed his Weyrleader out of the office. He let Casriel proceed him, not very comfortable with having his back turned to the other Wingleader.

Ensieth had just landed when Yllaveth spoke to her, and the shadows thoughts darkened at the words and she felt a fierce protectiveness for her little rider.

"Ensieth," Teagan said with concern in her voice, "what's wrong my darling one?" Her fingers spread across the dark hide on her neck, making a soothing noise.

We must go to see Yllaveth, the shadow said, almost reluctantly. She was protecting her rider, couldn't they see that? She gently nuzzled the girl, who was so small compared to her giant head.

Within moments Teagan was entering the Weyrseniors office, wearing her practice leathers still, and her hair pulled back in a tight bun. It all made her seem even smaller, despite the weight and lithe muscles she had managed to put on with the rigorous training.

I love you, and I am sorry, Ensieth said in a small voice, the last part to both her rider and dame. It threw Teagan off, just as she stepped into the office. Br'son looked strained and stressed, and her concern grew. What was going on?

"Weyrsenior," she said tenatively, deciding to rely on formality in this odd situation. "Ensieth said you wished to speak to me."
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 8:56 pm

Br'son summoned up a smile for Teagan. It wasn't hard. The canyon-born queenrider had been a ray of light and energy from the first day they'd arrived, heartsick and homeless, after being cast out of Eastern Weyr's wings.

"I did, Teagan. Please sit down. I'm happy to see you, but I'm afraid I've got something pretty serious to discuss," he said, not wanting to give in to the temptation to waste time with small talk.

Ha. 'Waste time' indeed.

"I want to talk to you about Eniseth. I know you've been wondering why she hasn't risen yet, when Aliseth did so in such spectacular fashion and has already Hatched her first clutch. I think I know the reason... I think Eniseth has been protecting you."
Back to top Go down
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 7:33 am

Her smile came back, once she saw some of the worry drain from Br'sons face. The chair she chose was the one Casriel had shoved, and she perched on the edge of it attentively. In the year since Ensieth had hatched and grown, her rider had yet to gain any extra height, though she liked to believe her feet were a little closer to the ground now.

Her expression grew serious and confused, though, when he spoke. "Ensieth is protecting me? From what?"

The moment she spoke the words the barrier Ensieth had been holding seemed to break, and the Weyrseniors words made all too perfect sense. Canyon raised, the concept of sex was not foreign to her. Many girls not much older than her had given birth already, and the subject wasn't exactly taboo.

Ensieth? she asked, her shock having drained her face almost as pale as her hair. Why?

To protect you, my beloved, was the answer she received, filled with regret, love, and a fierce protective streak. I do not want you to be hurt or scared.

She opened her mouth to protest aloud, a feeling of betrayal deep inside, but Ensieth was prepared for this. In a flash, Teagan suddenly understood what the term mating lust really meant, clashing emotions raising in her of anger and hunger for something she didn't quite understand.

When she came back to herself, she was slumped back in the chair, face flushed and almost out of breath. She looked at Br'son with giant green eyes, no tears or hint of fear in them but a definite sense of being overwhelmed.

Ensieth made a low, sad sound, trying to wrap her rider in the safe cocoon of ignorance again, but felt resistance this time. And not from the titanium queen; from Teagan.

"I know why you did it, but you shouldn't have," she murmured softly, speaking aloud to Ensieth even as she reinforced the statement with as much love as she could. "The Weyr is too important... you're needed."

Her face flushed again as she imagined herself the center of the attention, the prize being sought by the riders of the male dragons. There was no revulsion, just her heart pounding in her chest and a slight trembling in her hands. Needed, but not ready, she thought with shame.

Finally she looked back up at Br'son, taking a deep breath to steel herself against whatever was coming. "What do I do, sir?" she asked, her voice incredibly even considering her world had just been flipped on its side. Ensieth continued to make comforting croons, wishing she could squeeze herself into the tiny office and reassure her rider.
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Casriel at no such qualms; she would round kick him in the teeth and the consequences be damned if he reached for her back. She followed Sidran, her held held high. She was a Wingleader and no one had handed that rank to her on the basis of her dragon's color. She would meet any punishment Sidran gave forth with an outward calm and do what was needful.

'I will always do what is needful...and pragmatic.' she thought and felt the cool, enveloping regard of her Maraxith as she followed the Weyrleader.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 7:17 pm

Br'son gave her a gentle, understanding smile.

"You're already doing it," he said. "You're growing up. And you're doing a great job. Even if we could rush you on this... and I doubt Eniseth would allow such a thing, even if I would... I definitely don't think we should. A traumatized queenrider is a liability, and we need you strong and stable. We just need more time."

He leaned forward.

"Teagan," he said softly, "Were you taught 'Moreta's Ride' as one of your teaching ballads?"
Back to top Go down
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 7:25 pm

"She's the goldrider who saved everyone during the old Plague, right?" Teagan asked, furrowing her brow. Before the dragon riders had arrived there hadn't really been any education on the ballads, and she'd Impressed so quickly afterwards she sometimes felt like she'd missed a step.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 7:55 pm

"Yes, exactly. She made sure that the vaccine was distributed to all the tiny little holds and cots all over Pern. Well, the Records say that she had some help, but..." he took a deep breath. "She still did more than should have been possible in the time allotted. And she did that because she flew between times."

Br'son paused for a moment to let that sink in, and then went on in a quiet voice.

"What I'm telling you now must not be shared with anyone, nor discussed with anyone other than myself, E'zen, the Weyrleader and the Weyrsecond. This is knowledge that has generally been restricted to Bronze and Gold riders in the past. More know about it now, of course, but it's still delicate. Dragons can go between times just as they can go between places. You and Eniseth could go, right now, and jump back to a time before you were born... or forward, even, if you knew how."
Back to top Go down
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 8:45 pm

Her already wide eyes widened more, taking in this new information. She turned her shocked attention to Ensieth for a moment, but felt only that smug knowing that the shadow had displayed since she was only an egg.

Of course, she thought with a little smile. Ensieth always did seem to know more than she was letting on. So far tonight had been quite the eye opener.

The implications of his words sent her head spinning. Would that mean there were two Teagans, living simultaneously, in one time? Or what if there already WAS another Teagan somewhere? That was enough to render her speechless for a moment.

"I could go... some when, and... mature?" she said more than asked, an intense look on her face. "And I could come back when Ensieth says I'm ready. I could even come back to right after I left, couldn't I?" The thoughts rushed through her head. Time would pass normally for her, but to the rest of the Weyr she'd only be gone moments. Ensieth rumbled, though in agreement or concern Teagan couldn't tell.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2016 8:48 pm

"We'd have to think it through very carefully, make sure we had a solid plan... but yes. You, and maybe some others. At least one other, because timing is very, very dangerous, Teagan. I need you to understand that. I absolutely forbid you to try any experimentation with it. Tell me you understand that." Br'son's looked at her intently, hoping that she would understand the gravity of the situation.

"You and Eniseth are special, Teags," he added softly. "We can't risk losing you. But we need you, too, so if you want to try this, we will. But only if you're willing to try. If not, it's not a big deal."
Back to top Go down
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2016 8:59 pm

She met his gaze just as seriously. She'd had the same training as E'zen, and she'd spent enough time with Br'son to know his expressions. "On Ensieths' shell, I promise I will not attempt this on my own. But I want to do this." Her eyes flashed with determination and Ensieth answered with a bugle.

They were special, she told herself fiercely. And this would work.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2016 9:15 pm

Br'son looked at her for a long moment, feeling every misgiving that he held in his heart. She was so young, they were so precious, it was such a risk...

But she was the rider of a queen dragon, and she had made her choice.

"All right," he said softly, nodding. "Then we'll do it. We'll work out the details and come up with a plan. Please don't discuss this with anyone except the Weyrleader, E'zen, or me," he said. "And know this, too. If it comes to it, and you change your mind, it's no harm, no foul, understand? You can back out at any time."
Back to top Go down
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Teagan nodded once, her young face looking even younger despite the determination there. "Yes, sir," she answered clearly, understanding why this must be secret.

She could see his reservations, and felt a swell when she realized it was concern for her. No one had ever expressed concern for her, really. No mother or father to provide that kind of attention. "Ensieth and I can do this," she said feverently, standing up as she spoke. "This is for the Weyr. For Pern. This is going to work."

Despite her tiny frame, large eyes, and childish face, she was fiercely certain of this. Ensieth bugled outside, indicating her own confidence. Her eyes burning with determination and the knowledge that this was how she would serve her Weyr.

A long way for an orphan to have gone in just one short Turn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Now we know   Now we know - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Now we know
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
White Lightning Weyr :: Outcast Weyr :: Weyrleader Offices-
Jump to: