White Lightning Weyr
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10th PASS AU PERN RPG

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A Matter of Some Delicacy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sevillalost

Marks : 974

A Matter of Some Delicacy Empty
PostSubject: A Matter of Some Delicacy   A Matter of Some Delicacy EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 11:01 am

Br'son sighed with relief as Yllaveth drifted off to sleep. The queen had been getting more and more snappish lately, and he had to wonder if she wasn't getting proddy. It was close to time for her to fly, and he wouldn't be surprised to see her go up at any moment. Though, in truth, he rather wished she'd hold off. The last thing their Weyr needed right now was a change in leadership.

Of course, Gaveth could win again...

The young Weyrsenior shook his head to shut away feelings of desire and longing for the Weyrleader. Ever since his encounter with Casriel during Aliseth's maiden flight, his relationship with Sidran had cooled on the physical front. She was just as supportive and strong as ever... But she was now off limits, and that bothered him more than he wished it did.

Anyway. To business. He glanced down at his note slate in an attempt to distract himself, and his eyes fell upon a name. Z'ash of Manticath. Of course! His appointment with the young bronze rider was today...

Was right now, in fact, if the shadow of wings over his doorway meant anything. Br'son got to his feet and went to his sideboard for a skin of wine and some glasses.

"Come right in, bronzerider," he called, his voice full of welcome. "Please make yourself at home."
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

Marks : 713

PostSubject: Re: A Matter of Some Delicacy   A Matter of Some Delicacy EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 11:13 am

Manticath touched down with as much delicacy as he was able; he was a large bronze and thus had significantly less grace than a blue, green or quartz. He was quiet, seeing the sleeping queen and made sure he did not invade her space. Z'ash had washed him and polished him with oil all over the day before; he shimmering a bright antique bronze. Manticath cut a handsome figure, silhouetted against the light of the sky. Z'ash had polished his boots and buttoned his jacket, pulling his short mane of brown hair back into a short tail. He had pinned his Wingrider knots carefully, the bronze strand bright against his dark brown sleeve. He had no idea why the Weyrsenior would have called him but he was alive with an equal mix of pleasure and anxiety. They could have called Jah'vi but they had called him.

'Must be important to need a bronzerider.' he thought and a grin came to his face.

"Thank you, Weyrsenior. You honor me." Z'ash said, coming to join Br'son.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: A Matter of Some Delicacy   A Matter of Some Delicacy EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 8:00 pm

Br'son gave the younger man a smile that he hoped was reassuring and not intimidating. Faranth alone only knew that the last thing Z'ash needed was more inducement to formality. Br'son had always liked the young bronzerider, but perhaps in part due to his youth, Z'ash tended to stand on ceremony a bit much for Br'son's liking.

After all, they weren't that far off in age, when you really thought about it.

"Would you like something to drink?" The Weyrsenior asked, raising his hands that contained the glasses and the wine skin. "I'd like to talk to you about a matter of some delicacy, and I find that having a drink tends to help smooth any... Awkwardness."
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

PostSubject: Re: A Matter of Some Delicacy   A Matter of Some Delicacy EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 8:08 pm

"I would, very much so." Z'ash replied as he reached a chair. He listened to the man's words and nodded slowly. Reaching up to rub his chin with his right hand, Z'ash picked his words with care.

"I am in the mark and therefore, at your disposal...Br'son." Z'ash said and he met the Weyrsenior's eyes. His were deep brown and honest with more than a little curiosity.

"What is this matter?" he asked.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: A Matter of Some Delicacy   A Matter of Some Delicacy EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 8:25 pm

Br'son poured first before answering. It was a fruity white. Not the best vintage, but not terrible, either. He filled both glasses, and then handed one to Z'ash before seating himself in one of his chairs. He gestured for the bronzerider to take the other one while he took a sip.

"Ah, that's better. Yes, by all means, let us be informal, Z'ash. Formality has its place, but I confess that I tire of it sometimes. You're a bronzerider, I'm a Queenrider. Let us at least be friends," he said with a half grin, and tapped his glass against the other man's.

"As to this matter. How well do you know Eniseth's rider, Tegan?"
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

PostSubject: Re: A Matter of Some Delicacy   A Matter of Some Delicacy EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 12:17 pm

Z'ash took the glass of wine and took a sip. It was fruit sweet and pale, catching light gold in the light.

"Indeed." Z'ash replied. "I must confess, I had some trepidation. Yet, if we meet here as friends, a friend I will be to you. A bronzerider is always grateful to have the support of his queenriding counterparts. Or should be, in my opinion."

He pursed his lips and flushed a little, in spite of himself. He remembered the visit to his weyr and he took another sip of wine.

"We have been recently introduced." he said softly.

Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: A Matter of Some Delicacy   A Matter of Some Delicacy EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 7:32 pm

"Excellent," Br'son said. "I'm sure you were as...disconcerted as the rest of us when Aliseth barred the Bronzes, Browns and Thortoth from her flight. We do not yet know if that is a character trait of the shadow queens. Though I fervently hope that it is not."

He took another sip and then sighed. This felt so awkward. "The thing is, Z'ash, Teagan is so young. I suspect that she will have a few turns of waiting before Eniseth is ready to rise. At least, I hope that she will. In that time, while we are waiting for Teagan to grow up, I would take it as a special favor if you were to try and cultivate a friendship with her. Nothing inappropriate, you understand, but we do know that a rider's preferences can influence the outcome of a flight. If Teagan is kindly disposed toward you, that may tip the balance in Manticath's favor, when the time comes. Or she may at least be more favorably disposed towards traditionally-colored males than her sister. Worst case, you've made a friend and helped a young Queenrider through an awkward time."

Br'son paused then to study the younger man's face. What would he think?
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

PostSubject: Re: A Matter of Some Delicacy   A Matter of Some Delicacy EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 7:42 pm

"Spalkoth as well." Z'ash added, taking in all what Br'son said. He considered the alternative and disliked it instantly. There was all to gain from befriending the young queenrider and all to loose if her Eniseth barred the Old Guard as Aliseth had done. To think there may be less and less bronzes, browns, blues and greens every Turn from now if they were not allowed to breed. Not that the greens could but the males! He thought of his father, of his dragon, and the thought of no more bronze wings to grace the sky cut the young bronzerider deep in his heart.

"She came to me, I suppose you do know that. I could hardly think she would have known of me or where to go otherwise. We talked, we came to an understanding. I will do this thing and with a glad heart. I would relish more friends my age. So much of the time I feel like I am on Jah'vis heels, like his little, bronze riding brother." Z'ash said with a laugh.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: A Matter of Some Delicacy   A Matter of Some Delicacy EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 10:28 pm

Br'son laughed as relief flooded through him. Trust Teagan to take matters into her own hands. "That is fantastic, Z'ash. Thank you. I know it's an awkward thing to ask, and perhaps I shouldn't have done so, but I think it's good to be up front about things. We're all hoping that you'll make the difference... If it can be made at all," he said. Then he clinked his glass against Z'ash's again and grinned. "As to that, Jah'vi is a good man, one of the best. You could hardly pick a better role model, for all I think he'd complain about that title."

Thinking of Jah'vi made the Weyrsenior think of Yllaveth's flight, and that made him sigh. "In truth, I think he'd be a good Weyrleader, even, if he wasn't so dead set against it. Not that Sidran isn't fantastic, she is," he added with a stab of longing. "But Casriel said something... She has a theory that only bronzes can sire Titan queens, just as they were the only ones who could sire golden queens before. Yllaveth's sire was a bronze, of course. The shadows are a gift, certainly, but... Yllaveth called them mini-queens at first, which makes me think that they will not lay as many eggs as she has done."

He paused then, surprised to hear himself confiding so much to the young bronzerider. It must be his earnest face, Br'son decided. Z'ash just looked like the kind of person one could talk to, and trust. He hoped that he was right on all counts.
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

PostSubject: Re: A Matter of Some Delicacy   A Matter of Some Delicacy EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 6:57 am

"He was well loved by many in Eastern." Z'ash agreed. More traditional riders might balk at Jah'vis open minded attitude toward the New Guard but more neutral and liberal parties seem to flock to him. Z'ash looked up when Br'son mentioned the cobalt Maraxith's rider. The first Cobalt rider, he thought to be right. Just as his mother had been the first Scarlet rider. He schooled himself not to make a face of discomfort.

'Keep clear of Casriel, boy." Ashrah had told him once. The memory came back to him easily. It had been the night the New Guard was banished.

'She knows what she wants out of life and with Garrah gone there is no one left who can check her. Not even her dragon halts her ambition. Rather, I think, he guides it. She'll push you off a cliff if you stand on her way or have one of her henchmen slit your throat in the night.' his mother had said. He could hardly believe it at the time but having seen the Wingleader in question in the weeks he had been at the new Weyr, he was unsure. He tried to think around his prejudices and parsed his next words carefully.

"She must think she is very right to mention it, knowing it might cost her a chance at the Weyrleadership. You must be high in her regard. There was nothing to gain in telling you that truth and every thing to loose. If, she is a right. I know I do not know. On either account. "

He made no comment as to whether Manticath would chase Yllaveth. It was possible he would make a fair Weyrleader...ten or twenty Turns in the future. At fourteen...well Manticath was better off chasing scarlets and greens. Someday, maybe even Eniseth.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: A Matter of Some Delicacy   A Matter of Some Delicacy EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 6:34 pm

"Casriel wants what is best for the Weyr, and for Pern," Br'son said. Something within him felt distinctly uncomfortable at the idea of discussing the blonde Wingleader with anyone. His feelings toward her were... Complicated, to say the least.

"Well," he said then. "I will not keep you overlong. Do you have any other questions or anything? Please don't hesitate to speak up, if you do. You're a bronzerider, Z'ash, that means you're part of this Weyr's leadership team. Of my leadership team. If you have a concern, I need to know of it."
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

PostSubject: Re: A Matter of Some Delicacy   A Matter of Some Delicacy EmptyWed Jun 08, 2016 6:07 am

Z'ash knew a 'and that is final' even when the words remained unspoken. He sipped down the last of his wine and thanked the Titan rider.

"My thanks," he said to Br'son. "The wine was welcome and you have given me much to think on that will, in time, bear fruit of the Weyr. As well as given one young rider some duty and some purpose to reaffirm his value in the Weyr. For that, I am grateful."

He rose and wordlessly touched Manticath. The bronze turned his great head.

"I will, Br'son. Good day, sir." he said with a nod of his head. He walked, straight backed, to his dragon who was waiting. The bronze lowered his arm and Z'ash climbed to his neck saddle. With one last, long look at Yllaveth, Manticath gathered himself and vaulted off the ledge into the sky.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Matter of Some Delicacy   A Matter of Some Delicacy Empty

Back to top Go down

A Matter of Some Delicacy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
White Lightning Weyr :: Outcast Weyr :: Weyrleader Offices-
Jump to: