White Lightning Weyr
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10th PASS AU PERN RPG

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Apollotrigger

Marks : 448

Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) Empty
PostSubject: Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)   Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 9:52 pm

It had been a not quite a sevenday since the greenrider brought the news from Eastern of sickness. The tension in the Weyr could have been cut with a knife, with the worry of the older dragonriders so obvious. People were frightened.

But, especially during one of these few moments of free time, Teagan was not worried. Ensieth had calmed down, as much as the shadows tended to calm down at least, and her rider was going to enjoy every moment of this rare chance to spend time alone with her dragon.

Ensieth may have been growing quickly, but her rider wasn't. Her hair was almost long enough to pull back from her face now, at least. For now it flowed in the wind as she ran down to the lake, laughing as she raced Ensieth to the water. "I'm going to win this time!" she shouted in glee.

Oh, no you will not, came the playful response, and the shadow rushed past her rider. She outpaced her to the lake by several lengths, splashing right into the shallows. One day you will be bigger, and I will fly with you on my neck, and we will be faster than ever, she turned her head around to look lovingly upon the girl she had chosen, eyes sparkling blue with no hint of redness.

Teagan laughed and took the last few steps in leaping bounds, wading deep waist into the water and throwing her arms around the young dragon's neck. "I can't wait," she said, closing her eyes and inhaling the earthy smell of dragon.

Ensieth nuzzled the girl gently, wrapping her in love and warmth. No anger needed now, only the bond between her and her rider was necessary.

"Do you need a scrubbing?" Teagan asked, finally unlocking her arms and stepping back.

I am still quite clean from my bath this morning, Ensieth answered, nudging at Teagan playfully and almost toppling her. We will have fun playing in the water, no? She unflurred her wings, sending water showering over Teagan.

Now completely soaked, Teagan laughed and splashed back at the shadow. "Yes, we'll have fun," she agreed, a brilliant smile on her face.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

Marks : 974

PostSubject: Re: Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)   Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 10:28 pm

Avidian watched for a few moments before approaching. Teagan had been a canyon kid, but he hadn't begun to cultivate her into his business yet. She was both too young and too innocent. She'd been to Gathers and the like, and her tumbling tricks had earned some coin, but she hadn't yet been indoctrinated into the darker side of his organization.

And then she Impressed a queen. Of all his possible kids who could have pulled something like that off, she'd have been at the bottom of the list. For one thing, almost every one agreed that she was too young. But she'd surprised them all, and he had the feeling he'd get farther with Teagan than he would with that other, angrier shadow weyrling.

"She grows fast," the Stillmaster said as he approached. He had enough experience with Dividia and her Divisk not to approach from a direction that the young dragon could interpret as threatening. But still, he let his lips curve in a smile for Teagan. "Mind if I come take a look?"
Back to top Go down
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)   Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 11:28 pm

Ensieth went tense just before Avidian spoke, and Teagan turned in time to catch his words fully. Her hair plastered to her face, she grinned sheepishly at the Stillmaster. "Of course, sir!" she said, turning to Ensieth. "This is Avidian, I've told you about him."

Dark wings gave a flap, then settled back against her hide. Of course, she answered, cautiously. Her rider respected this man, but he had no dragon of his own. Very perplexing. Still, she walked beside Teagan out of the water, holding herself high and ready to make an impression. Her hide shimmered like an onyx in the sunlight with the droplets of water falling off of her.

But just to make things very clear that this was HER Teagan, she extended her wings to their fullness once on the shores, almost protectively. Teagan looked up in surprise at the sudden shadow over her, a smile of contentedness coming over her face, sensing Ensieth's possessiveness. Don't worry, he isn't going to steal me, she assured her silently.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)   Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 12:13 am

Avidian looked at the dragonet. She really was very striking, with her inky hide and lighter stripes. He tilted his head and regarded her for a long moment.

"Very Impressive," he said, though whether he was speaking to Eniseth or Teagan was anyone's guess. He gave the shadow a small, enigmatic smile and turned his attention back to her rider.

"Well," he said. "Look at you. Little Teagan, a queenrider. I'll admit, I wouldn't have bet on you. I figured you'd need a few more Turns before you were ready. Riding a dragon's going to be a lot of hard work, I'd imagine. Not that you're new to that."

The stillmaster gestured to a conveniently placed pair of boulders and seated himself. It was obvious that he expected Teagan to join him for some conversation.
Back to top Go down
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)   Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 9:07 pm

Teagan nodded her head towards the rocks for Ensieth's benefit and walked over. "It's amazing," she said in a voice full of wonder, eyes sparkling. "I still can't believe Ensieth picked me."

The shadow gave a loud snort, carefully settling into a laying position next to her rider. Not crowding her, but still close enough to intervene if this Avidian character pulled something. Who else would I have chosen? You are my rider. she said in a matter of fact tone, both amused and perplexed by the notion.

After she gave a little giggle, she looked up at Avidian. "I'm sorry, sir," she said, "Ensieth asks me who else would she have picked... " She blushed a bit, glancing down. Ensieth assured her she was doing a good job, and that she was doing every thing right, but she had a feeling in the shadow's eyes she could do no wrong. "It is hard work," she admitted, "but I'm not letting it hold me back. I have lessons with Weyrsenior Br'son about the duties of a queen rider in the evening, and all day lessons with Weyrlingmaster Ashrah and Ensieth. The physical stuff isn't that bad... I'm in better shape than the old holders." She wrinkled her nose, wondering how some of her fellow weyrlings had lived before. Being in shape was a requirement for canyon living.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)   Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 9:15 pm

Avidan gave her a smile that held just a bit of indulgence. "I can imagine, what with your tumbling and all," he said dryly. "I have to say,
we've missed you at some of the gathers this season. We could always count on you to hold a crowd and make some money. But I suppose you're better here, after all," he finished. "I like these riders. They're stand up people, but they're angry. They've been outcast, and they don't like that. There's a fair amount of fellow-feeling for people like us. I'm glad one of our people Impressed a queen. That will be useful, going forward."

Avidian sat back, his eyes in shadow, and looked at the young girl. A test, of sorts, that sentence. How would she take it? What would that mean to her? He folded his thick fingers together and waited for her reply.
Back to top Go down
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)   Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 9:28 pm

"I miss tumbling," she admitted with a sigh. "Especially at the Gathers. I felt useful." She gave him a smile; she'd known she was a distraction as well as a source of income for a few Turns now.

She nodded and looked down, stroking Ensieth's wedge shaped head gently. "I know you would have been happier if it was one of the older people," she said softly, sending reassurances to Ensieth that this was perfect. "But I know Ensieth chose me for a reason. All of us, Abry and M'drian and M'drist and the others... we're special now, because we're canyon and Weyr now." She fell silent for a long moment, contemplating her words.

"But we all have to be more still, don't we?" she finished finally, looking up at the older man who had served as a distant father figure her entire life. "We need to make sure that the people who raised and provided for us are as well taken care of as the dragonriders." She splayed her fingers across Ensieth's dark hide, a small smile on her face. "Ensieth knows, too."

The shadow gave another snort, then nuzzled her rider gently. She eyed Avidian closely, as if she were truly sizing him up for the first time. Perhaps she was... Teagan had of course told her about the man, but her rider spoke so many words it was often difficult to remember it all. Finally, she gave a small nod of approval and leaned forward ever so slightly.

He may stroke my neck, she told her rider, a mix of smugness and haughtiness in her voice. This man had kept her Teagan safe until she arrived. He deserved the honor of touching her lovely hide.

Teagan held back a laugh and solemnly said, "She said you can stroke her neck if you'd like." Her eyes might have twinkled, but her face was serious. Ensieth loved her rider's touch, but preferred to remain unmolested by others. She was accepting Avidian, and perhaps even thanking him, she thought with a huge inner grin.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)   Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 9:39 pm

Avidian's smile deepened with approval at her words. "We're all one people now," he said softly. "That's what we say, but it's you and the others who are going to make it a reality." He leaned forward and gently stroked his fingetips down the curve of the shadow queen's neck. "Thank you," he said, and again, it wasn't clear whether he was speaking to Teagan or Eniseth... or both.

"Of course," he said, with a bit more humor in his tone. "I suppose you'll have to accelerate this growing up of yours. Queenriders. They're the political powerhouses of Pern, are they not? Seems to me you're going to have to get real smart on that stuff, real quick. Br'son said anything about that?"
Back to top Go down
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)   Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 10:14 pm

The second time someone had mentioned her age as a possible determinate towards her ability to fill her new role... she couldn't hide the grimace from her face, and she looked down at Ensieth. It was already daunting, knowing the shoes she had to fill. The reminders worried her. But the shadow's first lids were closed, resting in the sunlight and the presence of her rider. She had nothing to say, it was clear, and didn't understand the problem.

"Br'son did mention I couldn't afford to be a kid anymore," she said, tracing patterns on Ensieth's hide with her fingers so she didn't have to look up. "He's been teaching us more about the Weyr side of running things... but we are going to have to see the Holders eventually aren't we?"

She finally looked up, at the walls of the canyon, and gave a small sigh. Being told to grow up and actually doing it were two desperately different things. She studied the older weyrling girls, and Ashrah for certain. Sidrian and Casriel were two great role models also, she supposed, though their duties kept them very busy.

But at the end of the day she was only 12 Turns.

You will be ready when you are ready, lovely one. You worry far too much about the future. Trust me. Ensieth told her, her voice like a gentle wave of reassurance.

She smiled from ear to ear and looked up at Avidian again. "Ensieth just told me I'll be ready when I'm ready."
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)   Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 11:33 pm

"Hm. She has a remarkable gift for the obvious, I see. Perhaps it is because she, too, is young. Sometimes those of us with a little more experience tend to... complicate things," he said, with his best approximation of a kind smile. "But doubtless she is right. I just want you to know, Teagan, you can always come to me. There may be times when you find yourself forced to choose between two equally unpalatable options. I wish the world were otherwise, but it is not. Leaders cannot flinch from getting their hands dirty, not if they truly mean to do right by their people. So, when the time comes, and you feel your nerve begin to waver... come to me. I'll have your promise on it."
Back to top Go down
Apollotrigger

PostSubject: Re: Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)   Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 12:00 am

Teagan nodded soberly; the entire story of the dragonriders exile to the canyon had been explained to her now. The thought of making decisions of that caliber was frightening to say the least. Br'son had made that clear: sometimes there was no right answer.

"I promise I'll do my best, sir," she said, meeting his eyes directly. That in itself was a scary thing... the older kids had loved to terrify the younger ones with stories of Avidian's cruelness. But part of growing up was facing fears and getting over them. His eyes were kinder than she'd expected, but there was still a steely hardness that almost made her want to shiver.

"Thank you, sir," she finished, smiling. "I swear on Ensieth's shell I'll come to you if I need guidance."
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

PostSubject: Re: Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)   Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 12:13 am

He nodded, satisfied. "Good," he said. "Because the truth is that this is only going to work because of you and your classmates, as I've said many times. I need you to truly BE a leader, Teagan. I think that you can. I have high hopes for you, little girl," he said, with a quirk of his lips.

Of course he was aware that calling a queenrider "little girl" wasn't strictly appropriate. But that was part of his calculation as well. Teagan would need a scary uncle in her corner in the days to come, especially if she were going to perform the way he wanted her to perform. So. Scary uncle he would be.

It wasn't any harder than any of the other roles he found himself playing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)   Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian) Empty

Back to top Go down

Time for a chat (Tag: Avidian)
Page 1 of 1