White Lightning Weyr
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10th PASS AU PERN RPG

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr]

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SylverAngel

Marks : 303

[Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr] Empty
PostSubject: [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr]   [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr] EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 10:06 am

It was a trial by fire.  Not literally, given Klaroth wasn't going anywhere near firestone, and he hadn't yet been given a flamethrower-- nor were they anywhere near flying age by any means.  But K'zariel definitely felt as if he was watching something start to smolder, something that, given the right kindling, could burst into flame at any moment and quickly burn out of control.

And nothing had even started yet.

The wings had just headed off, all of the adult queens included… and Br'son had left him in charge of workings on the ground.

K'zariel still wasn't sure why the Weyrsenior had chosen him-- the man had claimed he'd be rotating with the other two queenriders in his class.  But why one of them in the first place, and not someone with slightly more experience, like one of the healers, or dragonhealers?  Sure, they were queenriders, but their dragons were days old-- had it even been a sevenday or two yet?-- not sevendays, or months, or whatever length of time would give them sufficient practice under Br'son to feel comfortable as the person directing everything.

Not that that would likely be enough for any of them to really want the job, or not be worried they'd mess up.  But the weyrling titaniumrider would have preferred a little more time before he was thrown into the water and left to sink or swim.

He wasn't one to shirk duty, or pawn off his responsibilities onto someone else, though.  And if he screwed up, he'd accept whatever consequences came his way.  He'd just have to hope that didn't happen-- or if it did, the backlash wouldn't harm anyone else.

It was some consolation that he was Weyrbred, at least, that he knew in general what to expect.  And it helped that Kalabria was, as well, and that Melieste had been at the Weyr long enough to know how Threadfalls were handled.  Plus, they were both fairly practical young women-- he didn't doubt they'd be able to keep their heads, at least until this was over.

And once it was… then they could all fall apart if they needed, right?

You will not fall apart.  We will do this together.  And we will not fail.

Klaroth's certainty bolstered him a bit, but it didn't completely quell his nerves.  There was nothing for it, though.  He had to be prepared for anything, and at least pretend he knew what he was doing.

Yllaveth and her rider were needed outside, as well as Aliseth's and Eniseth's, while we cannot fly.  We are the logical choice-- you are the oldest, and were waiting for me the longest.  Yllaveth's believes we can handle it.

With a sigh, K'zariel glanced around at the ground crews making sure they had everything they needed-- healers, dragonhealers, smugglers and weyrfolk, all prepping themselves for the hazards of Thread and waiting for the first returning wingrider.  I know.  But that doesn't make it easier.

Do not worry.  I am here, and we will solve this together.

For Klaroth, this was just another problem, the next in the line that she knew in her bones she was here to take care of.

K'zariel just wished he had that level of confidence.

Then again, the infant queen had enough for both of them-- didn't she?
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

Marks : 974

PostSubject: Re: [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr]   [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr] EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 10:06 pm

"I've just finished checking with the healers. The human ones, at any rate," Melieste said briskly as she approached her classmate. "They're as ready as they can be. In addition, I've got some of the youngsters rolling bandages and ready to run numbweed out to those who will need it. And then that group over there," she said, pointing to a small knot of scruffy canyon kids congregating around a large tub. "Will be running water out to the riders who land and can drink. I'm going to the kitchen next, as I assume Kalabria will be with the dragonhealers, right?"

She took a deep breath and smoothed back a wisp of hair that had escaped her no-nonsense braid.

"I don't know how you look so calm," she said then, shaking her head a bit at the young man whom she didn't know nearly as well as she wanted to... yet. "I'm all over nerves inside."
Back to top Go down
SylverAngel

PostSubject: Re: [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr]   [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr] EmptySat Oct 08, 2016 1:03 am

Grateful for the distraction, Zar nodded as he listened to the shadowrider's report.  "Good.  Good way to get them involved when they've not done much of this before.  Let them see what goes on with Threadfall before they sign on to be Candidates, right?" he asked with a wry quirk to his lips.  "But yeah, it makes sense for Kalabria to be with the dragonhealers today, since she knows them best.  Make use of our talents, and all."  Though what his was, he wasn't entirely sure-- he'd not trained for anything, really.  He'd taken care of his brothers, gone through Candidate lessons, and just tried to get whatever task was asked of him completed, quickly and correctly.  What that amounted to, though, he didn't really know.

Melieste, herself, had seemed to know what she was good at from the start-- or at least what her role was destined to be.  Hearing her admit to being nervous, for all her confidence in being a queenrider, had him giving her a small, if crooked, smile in response.  "Just between you and me, Klaroth's the calm one.  And it's too bad we can't really have much alcohol at the moment, because I could really use a drink."

Maybe later, after it was all over, and everyone had returned safely, they could have something small.  But K'zariel had the feeling all he'd really want to do at that point would be to wander back to his and Klaroth's alcove and crash.

"How is Zillath holding up?"
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

Marks : 974

PostSubject: Re: [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr]   [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr] EmptySat Oct 08, 2016 10:11 pm

Melieste snorted. "Perfect and calm as always," she said dryly. She felt a surge of satisfaction that her confession of nerves had done the trick and caused K'zariel to admit to nerves of his own. Of course he was nervous! Who wouldn't be? But Melieste figured that it could only help for him to admit it, even if only to her. And if it created a bit of a connection between the two of them... well... so much the better.

Brilliant as always, my rider, Zillath complimented her smoothly. Now, unless you'd like to pat yourself on the back a little longer, I believe our first casualties are inbound.

Melieste jumped a little, and then grimaced at K'zariel.

"I know they're supposed to be babies, but Zillath must be the driest, most sarcastic baby ever Hatched. Also, she says that we've got casualties on the way."
Back to top Go down
echonymph

echonymph

Marks : 281

PostSubject: Re: [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr]   [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr] EmptyWed Oct 12, 2016 4:14 pm

The Scarlet dragonet watched as her new rider began to set up a triage area. The injured had to be sorted by priority. Most severely injured to least severely and then treated. She didn’t have time to take into consideration feelings. And it was puzzling to the dragonet that suddenly her rider seemed another person altogether. So very serious. Leszande walked over to K’zariel and Melieste. “The triage area is ready for patients to be sorted by severity. I’m going to be busy healing and we could use every healer we have .but I’m sure one of the other Weyrlings can help with sorting people.” Lezsande did not stick around to hear them protest as she walked off toward the infirmary.
What can I do?
“Oh sweetheart. Maybe you can help soothe the dragons who have injured riders?”
I can...try...

Truth be told the scarlet would rather be up there fighting thread, than helping her rider with the healer stuff but she’d rather do something than nothing. Waiting was sooo boring. Tianrith had to have a mission.
Back to top Go down
SylverAngel

PostSubject: Re: [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr]   [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr] EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 10:18 am

The titaniumrider gave a little huff of a laugh at that, but his amusement didn't last long.  Klaroth was also passing on the news, and he sucked in a breath at her frank words.

We have a wounded pair coming in.  Ohanith knows the healers need to be ready.  I do not know yet if the rider is injured as well.

"So does Klaroth.  And here they come."

He'd seen the trio pop out of between-- what looked like a cobalt holding a scarlet and a brown alongside them-- and had to glance away when Lezsande approached.

"Them, or the Candidates," he agreed, grateful for his practical, knowledgeable classmates when he remembered that the scarletrider had been healer trained.  "We'll get them to the right place.  And the first one may be coming your way shortly."

So many of his classmates seemed to know their place here, know what role they'd play until they were all up in the air fighting Thread, too.  And yet he had no real skills to speak of when it came to times like this.

You are here to be steady, to give orders.  The humans will need to see a leader among them.  If you are calm, they will see it and know that everything will be all right.

A leader.  When he had no idea what he was doing.  If you say so.

I chose you, not anyone else.

And for Klaroth, that was all that needed to be said.

Taking a deep breath, K'zariel surveyed the scene once again, and then glanced at Melieste.  "Well.  I'm going to see what I can do to help with this one.  Like Lezsande said, we'll need all available hands."  And if he wasn't needed there, he'd make the rounds and dig in to whatever task was necessary.  "You coming, or checking on the groups?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr]   [Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr] Empty

Back to top Go down

[Threadfall] Meanwhile, on the ground... [Attn: any still at the weyr]
Page 1 of 1