White Lightning Weyr
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10th PASS AU PERN RPG

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Logistics Problems

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sevillalost

Marks : 974

Logistics Problems Empty
PostSubject: Logistics Problems   Logistics Problems EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 6:26 pm

Br'son stood on the edge of the Hunting grounds and watched as Yllaveth disemboweled her second kill.  He knew without saying anything that she would restrict herself to two today, just as  he knew that only two medium-sized herdbeasts wouldn't be quite enough to fill her up for a full sevenday.  However, with the arrival of Jah'vi and their kin from Eastern, plus the daily depredations made by the growing weyrlings... their herd was sadly reduced.  

Something had to be done.  The question was, what?  What could be done?  When he'd been trained to run the domestic affairs of the Weyr, he'd been working under the assumptions that he'd have a full staff of weyrfolk and supporters.  Plus tithes from the holds.  And though his weyrfolk had proven themselves not only brilliant and creative, but also fanatically loyal, there was still no denying that White Lightning was lacking in several of the necessities.  

Not the least of which was herdbeasts to feed the dragons.
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

Marks : 713

Logistics Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Logistics Problems   Logistics Problems EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Casriel had brought the first group of herdbeasts for the Weyr on the morning after they had been Exiled. After that, she had kept a book and tally on how fast they were going through the stock. She also took Maraxith hunting outside the Weyr. Mostly, he ate fish and wherries. A cobalt as huge as Maraxith didn't need to eat as constantly but worried for the continued fertility and overall health of the queen dragons had committed Casriel to taking her dragon out across the Southern land to feed on wildlife.

When Maraxith had mentioned he was hungry, Casriel had taken him to the river to fish. After the cobalt's hunger had been somewhat soothed, they had gone hunting. The cobalt had brought down three adult males, strapping with muscular hunches. Casriel allowed him to eat the smallest of the trio and had taken the other two back to the Weyr. When she noticed Yllaveth on the hunting grounds, she signaled Maraxith to land.

"Br'son," Casriel said gently as she approached. "by your troubled face I know you see our problem. Maraxith has brought two fat wherries in from the south."

You are hungry, my queen. Take these as your rightful tribute. We are nothing without you, Yllaveth.
Maraxith appealed to the Titanium. He would hunt across the whole of Pern if Yllaveth bade him.

"I have been taking Maraxith out hunting since we arrived here. Some of the other riders have been doing the same, especially since the eggs Hatched. Its a short term solution, however." Casriel said, coming to stand beside Br'son. She was near, not touching but close.

"The Cold will be here sooner than we think." Casriel said softly.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

Logistics Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Logistics Problems   Logistics Problems EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 7:14 pm

Br'son felt a sudden surge of gratitude for his wingleader and her astuteness. This, of course, was only magnified by Yllaveth's gratitude at the gift of the beasts. The queen pounced wordlessly on the gift, sending her inarticulate appreciation to Maraxith in the emotions that were a dragon's primary language.

"Thank you," Br'son said softly. "I appreciate it... I should take her out as well, it's just that there's always so much to do..."

Weak. Weak excuses, and he knew it. One couldn't take care of one's Weyr if one didn't take care of one's queen. That was day one stuff. He knew better.

So he scrubbed his hands over his face. "If Maraxith doesn't mind sharing some coordinates with Yllaveth as to his favorite hunting sites, I'll follow your example, Casriel," he said. "But you're right. Our little ones are depleting our herds rather quickly. I find myself..."

He broke off, suddenly ashamed, but not sure why. He was Weyrsenior, wasn't he? A Weyrsenior did what was necessary, no matter how wrong it felt. "I find myself wondering about Eastern's herds... and Southern's. We know that there aren't many dragons left at those two Weyrs. Perhaps..."

Br'son raised his eyes to meet Casriel's. If anyone understood the concept of doing whatever was necessary, it was she. "Perhaps we can find additional animals there," he finished, hating the thought of stealing from the dead... but hating the thought of condemning the living to starve even more.
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

Logistics Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Logistics Problems   Logistics Problems EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Casriel lifted her blue-green eyes to Br'son and without thought or expression, slipping her hand into his and squeezed gently. Her hand did not let go of his for a long moment, as her thumb caressed his palm and she did not break her gaze from him.

"That is an excellent though, Br'son. Maraxith and I, a few of my Wingriders, could herd the beasts on the wing all the way back here to White Lighting. We can also secure Eastern's cache of firestone, numbweed and redwort while we are there. "

There were hosts of other things they would need and a host of other things she would need to do before they would be secure in this place.

'There are a host of other things I would say to you.' she thought as she gazed at her Weyrsenior. A glimmer of that affection softened her chill, beryl gaze and then was gone again. A doe like tenderness sprinting back to the safety of a strong and protective wood.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

Logistics Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Logistics Problems   Logistics Problems EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 8:44 pm

Br'son felt a heat, low and smooth, fire up deep in his belly, and his body began to respond to Casriel's icy blonde beauty. He cleared his throat and dropped her hand, feeling torn. His lovely Weyrleader filled his bed, most nights, and he simply couldn't imagine wanting more than her...

But then there was Casriel. Lovely, blonde, intense Casriel, who would do anything he asked and then some. Queenrider though he may be, Br'son was by no means immune to the seductive power of these things.

And, after all, Maraxith was one of the king males of the Weyr. It wasn't improper for him to feel an attraction to his rider! Certainly it was good for the Weyr if Yllaveth spread her affections between the males. Say what you like about stable leadership, but strong, varied bloodlines had their own value, especially in their situation, what with the plague and all.

Still.

"Casriel," Br'son found himself saying, hating every moment. "You are so lovely, and so strong... but while Sidran leads, she deserves my undivided attention and support. I... I hope you understand, I mean no disrespect."
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

Logistics Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Logistics Problems   Logistics Problems EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 1:20 pm

It was a cold, sinking feeling that welled up in her gut like blood from an open wound but she pushed it back down. There was time and she needed to be patient. Without betraying her pang of disappointment, Casriel let her cool eyes slide away and then back to him.

"Your praise is all I require... for the moment." Casriel purred. Maraxith was patient and she could at least be as patient as her dragon. They would do nothing to alienate the pair. She favored him with a sultry smile then.

"Eventually. Eventually.' she told herself. When Yllaveth rose for her next mating flight, Maraxith would chase and he Casriel would train in the mean time to order to improve his chances of winning.

"There is also fish in the river and wherries on the plains and foothills. Maraxith will be happy to share the location, without doubt. We'll tell all who wish to go hunting though I plan to encourage my Wingriders to take their beasts out to hunt. I won't condone stripping the Weyr of supplies because of sloth. I will have Maraxith chance their dragons off their ledges if they give me any flack." Casriel gracefully changed the subject and she laughed good naturally at the thought of her cobalt herding her wingmates.
Back to top Go down
Sevillalost

Logistics Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Logistics Problems   Logistics Problems EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Br'son laughed, his voice sounding only a little strained as he gratefully seized on the change of topic. "I can imagine," he said. "Maraxith is a remarkable specimen of a cobalt. I can see how he could be... quite intimidating. He must have been interesting as a weyrling."
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

Logistics Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Logistics Problems   Logistics Problems EmptyThu Sep 24, 2015 9:00 am

Sevillalost wrote:
Br'son laughed, his voice sounding only a little strained as he gratefully seized on the change of topic.  "I can imagine," he said.  "Maraxith is a remarkable specimen of a cobalt.  I can see how he could be... quite intimidating.  He must have been interesting as a weyrling."  

"He was the first Cobalt ever hatched and set the tone for the entire lot of them as far I am concerned. I can see his egg in my mind's eyes, as clear as spring water. It was large, a deep purple flecked in motes of ice white and pitch black. When his egg fell on its side while he hatched and it was like a felled tree. Such a mighty crash it was and then he was out. Even in broad sunlight his wet hide could be seen, a perfect marriage between plum purple, midnight black and dark sapphire. So intent on his goal, he never noticed the girl he knocked down and who's arm he raked to reach me. He possessed, from infancy, a momentum that was hard to resist. He has his on gravity as a king, as surely as Yllaveth has as Queen." Casriel said with glowing pride. Her eyes went to her dragon and the Cobalt drew himself up, regally arching his neck and pleased with the abundance of praise.

"And you, Pern's first male queen rider. I cannot imagine your weyrlnghood was typical...or boring." Casriel said with a grin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Logistics Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Logistics Problems   Logistics Problems Empty

Back to top Go down

Logistics Problems
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
White Lightning Weyr :: Outcast Weyr :: Hunting Grounds-
Jump to: